Thursday, April 5, 2012

Communion

1 Corinthians 10:16 


The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ?


What does this mean? This precious thing, to participate in the blood of Christ, to participate in His body. Is there anything more precious on this earth?


We took communion tonight, quietly, before our evening meal.  We stopped and acknowledged the one who gave everything to reconcile us to God. The one who chose to drink the cup of suffering on our behalf. Was it the cup of God's wrath he was drinking? The cup we brought about by our rebellion and desire to seek after all but Him. 


Matthew 26:39b
My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will. 


This is the cup the Lord drank for me. I now have the immense treasure of participating with Him in it. He paid the price and all I do is drink and I enter into the fullness of being right with God. I have this assurance, my debt is paid. And I drink and I enter in. I eat the bread and His broken body suffices. God's wrath is poured out but not on me. He stood in front of me and absorbed the blast. And the wrong of all humanity was made right in these moments. 


This is why we bless the cup of blessing. We give thanks for what the Lord endured on our behalf and we do participate in His blood with much thanksgiving. What else is there? I have no life without this participation in his body and his blood. 


I need this and I see Communion today like I have never seen it before. This tangible symbol of my participation with him. I had not before realized the importance of this ritual, this stopping of other things and taking time to participate. I have done it a thousand times and been thankful, but never like today. Never had I realized that this, like a wedding, is the outward expression of my commitment to Jesus Christ, my position in and identification with all that he has done and all that he endured. 


Praise God that indeed I have been put to death in Christ and that truth is why I am ushered into the presence of God without hindrance. Without question . I come in full participation with the broken body and the poured out blood of Jesus. 


May I never take this lightly. May I see more and more the significance here. 


Lord, I bless you. Thank you for drinking my cup. I choose full participation with you, your body and your blood. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment