Friday, March 2, 2012

This House

 I have been asking the Lord for a table for awhile.  We have a table, but it seats only four and it's high up off the ground. A beautiful table, sleek and modern; just like I like. I picked it out; we bought it new. Whenever we have people over it's awkward, we can't all sit together, the kids have to sit somewhere else, or we all sit on the floor.  The desire of my heart is that this would be a place of rest and renewal for others and so the request for a table.  I knew the Lord had to do it, because the list is long of things to buy and things the kids need and a table is not a necessity, but it was in my heart so I asked Him.


I've been asking for months, not looking, not planning, just asking. But yesterday I went on Craig's List just to peek. There was a table there, seats eight, something that would not stretch the budget. So we bought it and my heart was glad. Well, mostly glad. You see it is not sleek and modern like my old table, it doesn't have clean lines or that dark finish I so love. It's a little old fashioned and not something I would pick out of a catalog.  And as I have these little twinges of ungratefulness I kick myself.  But there it is.  Me. Even when He gives abundantly my heart turns. My heart turns momentarily to the things of this world, things that are pleasing to the eye.


Is He not gracious! What do I do when my children are ungrateful? Maybe lecture, or remove something they want. And sometimes that is necessary to teach a lesson, but sometimes I am just mad that I have worked hard and they don't recognize or appreciate it. But not so with our Heavenly Father.  In His infinite mercy He sees what I need and whispers this to my foolish heart, "This house is not something to display, but somewhere you LIVE".  So I see. He gives the eye salve again. I see that the only thing we need on display here is Him. His glory, not my own. Not the glory of the right furniture or the coolest painting, but the glory of a family living in submission to Him, desiring Him, loving each other.


So this house may not look like a magazine, it will be messy sometimes (ok, most of the time) but here we will LIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment