Monday, March 19, 2012

Some Days

Some days... Some days start wrong and stay wrong. This one did, at least for awhile. Woke up on time, but then went back to sleep. So now something has got to go. Workout, work or quiet time. Something. So I scramble out of bed and have a brief and half-hearted quiet time. I get the baby out of bed. She still sounds terrible, poor girl, face covered in snot. I trudge, yes trudge, down the stairs to get going on breakfast. No life, no joy. No Word for the family this morning. too tired, too grumpy. And so the day went, on and on and feeling so long. I don't know what stopped me, maybe just mercy. But I stopped. I knew I needed something. I knew I needed truth. So instead of tossing a tupperware full of leftovers on the table I got out the dishes, I lit the candles and we read. I opened our book of Lent readings to a random page in the middle of the book. The reading is entitled "I Thirst for You" by Mother Theresa. "I know what is in your heart-I know your loneliness and all your hurts-the rejections, the judgements, the humiliations. I carried them before you." She goes on to describe the Lord's thirst for us and I just sit for a moment, grateful. Grateful that in this loneliness He knows me, He knows how I feel, He knows and understands the desires of my heart. And in this knowing He sets my heart aright. He orients me. Gives sight again. So yes, this was one of those days and even now as I write I hear the baby coughing and crying and I know this day might be longer than I would like, but I know He knows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment